- Posted by Karleigh Stevenson
- On February 28, 2017
- 1 Comments
- business, de-stressing, life, work
Stress is a silent fiend that sneaks up on you before you know what hit you. It comes in many forms, and from many sources. If affects everyone: professionals, business owners, artists, parents… we all feel stress at some point. Some people handle stress well, while others get tense and scattered. No matter how you deal with this nuisance, de-stressing is one of the healthiest daily activities you can master, and luckily you can do it at the office. Here are 10 easy ways to beat stress:
- Step away from the devices. Turn off your phone, get off of Facebook, and do something else. Not only do tablets, phones and computers cause eye strain, they are also the source of social media platforms and the internet. The latter two can be extremely stressful on their own and cause major anxiety. If you’re at work, leave your office and chat with a colleague about something you both enjoy.
- Walk it off. Any physical activity can help to immediately decrease stress. It also gives you a set amount of time to stop and focus on yourself. Even a 10-minute walk around the block can help clear your head.
- Take a breath. Two to five minutes of deep breathing is enough to cause a break in tension. Find a quiet spot and sit or lay down. Breathe in through your nose and push the breath out to reap the peaceful benefits.
- Laughter really is the best medicine, and it will immediately decrease your stress levels. Laugh with friends and colleagues, over a funny book, watch an oddball comedy…. Whatever you do, just let go and get those giggles going.
- Spend time with a buddy. Buddies come in all forms, and pets, friends and plants (yes, plants), can all be soothing. Hanging out with chums is a really great way to forget about your worries.
- Get in some smooches. Kissing and cuddling are not only amazing relaxation methods; they’re also fun to do. Kissing releases endorphins that make you get the warm and fuzzies. (Note: This is not necessarily a work-friendly activity.)
- Have a cuppa. Green tea is full of healthy antioxidants, and herbal tea can help to calm you. Sitting down for a warm cup of tea also forces you to take a breath and have a moment to unwind.
- Pump up the jam. Listening to upbeat tunes, dancing and singing are so much fun and they force you to think about something other than your daily stressors.
- Say no. Too often our calendars are full of things that we promised to do for other people, to our own detriment. It’s wonderful to do things for others, but when just looking at your weekly calendar makes you tense up inside, it might be time to start replying in the negative to people’s requests.
- Try essential oils. There are so many different scents to choose from, you can’t go wrong (although lavender is a good choice for anxiety). Pick your favourite, and relax in a bath with a good book, or use a diffuser.
Do you have some great ways to chill? Let us know your business tips, and secrets to tranquility.